Thursday 6 October 2011

Ready to go...


10 years ago I did a one week placement at an accountancy firm in London, after that brief exposure to the world of finance,  I vowed never to become an accountant or do anything remotely related….EVER!

10 years on, and I am now a qualified management accountant…so much for my vow.   I still think there is hope, there has to more to accounting than the stereotypical portrayal that society has bestowed upon the profession, we not all number crunching, grey suit wearing individuals with no social life (well I’m not!).  After qualifying last year, it became my mission to find out what opportunities there were for accountants, like myself, who wanted to break the mould and do something different to add real value.  This is when I came across Accounting for International Development (AFID); an organisation that offers accountants the opportunity to make a genuine difference in the international development sector.  I will be doing a 3 week volunteering placement, through AFID, in a town called Thika, in Kenya, helping an NGO improve their financial management.  Find out more about what AFID do through their website: http://www.afid.org.uk/.

I am due to depart in a couple of days and despite the support form ,my family, AFID and previous volunteers, I still am unbelievably anxious, but excited at the same time…I don’t know what to expect!    I just hope I can use my skills to make some impact, we will see…I'll keep you posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment