Friday 28 October 2011

Last Day


So today was my last day in the office and I can’t believe how fast time has flown, seems like it was only the other day that I was first introduced to the team.  Despite having told everyone at the beginning on the week that today would be my last day, I still received shocked reactions....”what do you mean today is your last day?! I thought you had a few weeks left!” (the most common reaction).  I think they are all still in denial… I won’t be surprised if people still ask where I am on Monday.

The staff had brought me a gift, a couple weeks earlier, which they had locked in the office cupboard for safe keeping.  On realisation that it was my last day they went to retrieve my present….I was busy typing away trying to tie up some lose ends, not realising the commotion that was going on around me (they were all conversing in Kikuyu).  It was only until I looked up and asked what was going that they confessed….”So Kara” Nancy started, “We brought you a present, and put it in the cupboard, but now nobody can find the key!” Flattered, I told them not to worry about it, but they insisted that I must get my present before I left the country.  So they all attempted, one by one, to pick the lock using various tools, I even tried myself, but failed miserably….shame, it always seems to work in the movies. After a number of successful attempts, Philip, one of the Legal workers, managed the break the lock with a knife!  So much elation filled the room we almost forgot about the present.  It was a nice gift…a photo frame (ill put one of the group photos in that) and a scarf (in preparation for the cold winter ahead).

After having lunch together, the rest of the afternoon was pretty slow going….always the case on Fridays.  Around 4.45pm it was lights off…but fortunately not quite the end of my adventure, we have all planned a group trip to Fourteen Falls and Mount Killimanbogo tomorrow, so the saga continues….

No comments:

Post a Comment